Friday, January 30, 2009

Eternal by Cynthia Leitiech Smith

After, reading Tantalize by Cynthia Leitich Smith over the summer, and being completely armored by the universe, I was ecstatic to learn that there were more novels planned to be set in the same universe.


Eternal, introduces new beings-angels, Guardian Angels to be specific.


Zachary, is a GA for Miranda, and he has done his duty just fine for seventeen years of Miranda’s life. Until one night when Miranda and her friend, Lucy decided to meet a guy in the cemetery. While there, Miranda is ambushed by the reigning King of the Mantle of Dracula, himself. Miranda, is soon adopted by him, turned into an eternal (vampire). He introduces her to the “other world” where life is much more glamorous then Miranda imagined. Now it’s up to Zachary, to save Miranda’s soul as well as redeeming himself for letting Miranda turn into a vampire, under his watch.


Although, I read the back cover, I do not think I had a clear understanding of what the book truly was about. With that being said, no at all what I expected. Although, it is set in the same universe, there were many differences between these two. Yeah sure there are were-animals and vampires and that’s about it. Tantalize focuses more in the world you and I are living, while Eternal, more on the “other world”-the vampire quarters.


I liked how the book was told in alternating points of views between Miranda and Zachary. I think the book was would have been considerably, less enjoyable if only told in Miranda’s point of view. Her character was very mundane. Most of her concerns were whether or not her adopted father would approve of her and if she was being a “proper” lady and vampire. I disliked her lack of emotions of being ripped (metaphorically speaking of course) from her family and friends.


On the other hand Zachary was everything but boring, he was amusing and imaginative. A very nice and refreshing voice after reading about Miranda’s mindless thoughts. The plot was all right, nothing special, at times it felt like it was lacking. But I was happy towards the end it picked up and it got a lot more exciting and intriguing. And Miranda’s character redeemed herself by doing something very noble in the end, which made me like her much better then before.


All in all it was an okay novel with a cliff hanger in the end. So naturally, I really want to read the forthcoming book, Blessed, which will feature members of both cast from Tantalize and Eternal.

Thanks N, for the copy!

Released Date: February 10, 2009
Hardcover: 320 pages
Publisher: Candlewick

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Trailer:


Want to Win:
Tantalize Click here.
Eternal Click here.
Eternal Prize Pack Click here.
Good Luck!


5 comments:

  1. I want to read Tantalize, but my Borders never has it! It looks really good though. Maybe I'll order it off Amazon or something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hillary, you should definitely read Tantalize. When I finished reading I was surprised how much I liked it. Oh and yeah, my Border stinks too but usually I ask them to order a copy for me (because I can't order stuff from Amazon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved Tantalize. I'll have to enter Cynthia's contest for Eternal now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've not heard of Tantalize - is it good? Eternal sounds interesting! I can't imagine being a guardian angel who failed to prevent his ward from becoming a vampire - that would really destroy me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. TruBlu93- i liked tantalize too. And thanks for reminding me. I'll link the contest too.


    Cecilia- Yeah Tantalize was surprisingly good, considering I didn't like Twilight (which had Vampires and werewolves just like Tantalize). As a matter of fact there's a contest to win the book. I'll link that too. Oh Miranda turning into a vampire under Zach's watch took a toll on him. ;)

    ReplyDelete