Monday, February 15, 2010

Book Review: The Lonely Hearts Club

Title: The Lonely Hearts Club
Author: Elizabeth Eulberg
Page: 320 pages

Penny Lane Bloom has completely sworn off boys after an unforeseen incident involving her childhood sweetheart. From that moment on she vows to herself that she will not date another boy. But soon her new attitude catches the attention of other girls who have had endured the same heartache caused by boys and together they form what become known as The Lonely Hearts Club.

I have to admit, I was wary when I began reading this book and did not have such high expectations from the book, however I did like the idea of a bunch of girls coming together due to their immense dislike for boys to bash them. It made me slightly giddy because I happen to be very cynical when it comes to boys and their sincerity and intentions so I read it and I must say it was not what I expected. While it is not quite one of my favorite books it’s not on my hate list either. It was actually quite good.

The characters were relatively realistic which is always nice to see in books because it makes them all the more relatable. What also gave this book extra points was that it didn’t just discuss the relationship between a boy and a girl, but also the relationship between friends and I found it to be nice and true. Not all friends are loyal to the end but then there are some that make up for those indigenous ones, the ones that are true and there for you in times when you are unable to take action and give you the push that you need. It was also intriguing to see how slowly but surely Penny along with some other girls from the club were actually beginning to change their opinions on boys in general as they met boys that were decent. This book is great in that it gives girls hope and some insight in that maybe not all guys are idiotic, crass or dense.

Rating: 6.5/10

1 comment:

  1. I think I liked this one more than you did! I loved that the girls discovered that it's great to have guys around, but it's not necessary.

    ReplyDelete